The patent-pending Direct Connect 911 Smoke Detector is the only stand-alone, photo-electronic smoke detector on the market that will alert central station emergency operators to a fire or smoke condition. Unlike expensive home/business monitoring systems, the Direct Connect 911 Smoke Detector system protects for 20% on homeowner insurance.
"Standard smoke detectors can only emit a siren, which may be useless for people who sleep through the noise, are not at home, or are trapped inside," says Plug N Protect, LLC President David Topper. "We wanted to harness emerging cellular technologies to provide an affordable and reliable safety device for millions of homeowners and businesses nationally."
The Direct Connect 911 Smoke Detector is not connected to the user's cell phone or cell phone plan. The unit simply attaches to a ceiling or wall like a typical smoke detector and is ideal for apartments, homes and even small businesses. When smoke is detected, the unit's alarm sounds and simultaneously alerts Central Station. Local fire/rescue teams are called and additional contacts are notified by phone or email. The Direct Connect 911 Smoke Detector allows people who are present at the time of the fire to focus on escaping the building and not having worry about calling 911. It is also ideal for helping to save pets that may be home alone at the time of a fire. The unit can even indicate the location of the fire within a home or building to emergency operators.
To eliminate unnecessary calls to the fire department, a manual shut off button is included, alerting the emergency operators of the false alarm. Additionally, the user is notified when the two year batteries run low or if the unit fails a weekly self check with central station. The Direct Connect 911 Smoke Detector does not require installation; works right out of the box and contains everything you need to be up and running in minutes. The units do not rely on the premise's electricity, internet, phone system or existing security network. The Direct Connect units are also portable and can be easily relocated at any time.
There were no working smoke detectors in a Chicago (IL) home where a man was killed in a basement fire yesterday.
The fire was reported at 3:47 a.m. in the Garfield Park neighborhood of the city, according to a Chicago Tribune report (http://trib.in/135YHRf). Firefighters arrived three minutes later and found flames in the basement and on the first floor.
Firefighters located the 57-year-old victim in the basement and removed him. He died from complications of smoke inhalation and was pronounced at an area hospital. Another 51-year-old man apparently escaped through the back of the home.